Sunday, August 1, 2010

"Bookation" blues

Well the "Bookation" is almost over and how do I know how my kids felt about it? I ask them to write. My daughter who likes to write and for whom a pen or pencil is like an appendage on her right hand, got to the task immediately. My son however begins to complain almost before I am finished speaking. Well its vacation and I believe vacation time is their time so I don't insist. He is yet to work on the task though. Simply put: reading affects writing and writing affects reading. According to recommendations from the major English/Language Arts professional organizations, reading instruction is most effective when intertwined with writing instruction and vice versa. Research has found that when children read extensively they become better writers. Reading a variety of genres helps children learn text structures and language that they can then transfer to their own writing. In addition, reading provides young people with prior knowledge that they can use in their stories. One of the primary reasons that we read is to learn. Especially while we are still in school, a major portion of what we know comes from the texts we read. Since writing is the act of transmitting knowledge in print, we must have information to share before we can write it. Therefore reading plays a major role in writing.

1 comment:

  1. I too have had similar experiences with children during the vacation crying ‘bloody murder’ when you encourage them to do anything vaguely resembling school work. Even if it is just to read a book. And really, though we know that it’s for the best and we’ll still do it, I know how they feel.
    What struck me though, is that once again it is the boy that seems reluctant to want to comply.
    Now I have one boy. Wonderful he is! But it’s like ‘pulling teeth’ to try to get him to read a book or write a passage and it’s even worse during the vacation.
    He would however play games on the computer (he doesn’t care if they are educational) he would play. He would watch television (he does not care if the show is educational) he would watch it. He would play board games (he does not care if it is educational) he would play.
    Are you seeing the pattern?
    Now you know that there are a myriad of theories that claim to explain BOYS!!??!! So I wouldn’t get into that. But I think we get, that we have to find ways to ‘trick’ (for want of a better word) them into reading and writing without it seeming like reading and writing.
    That’s where it gets hard and we have to research and prepare. But believe me once you get the hang of it, they won’t know what hit them. And you would be surprised how much reading and writing they would do without even realizing. Even during the vacation!
    Siobhan Dowridge

    ReplyDelete